Court of Protection

When a person loses the mental capacity to administer their own property and financial affairs, this can leave them in a difficult situation.

In many cases family and friends cannot help them with the simplest of tasks such as paying their utility bills, accessing money for food and clothing, and ensuring that the person is receiving their private pensions. This can become very stressful for the person who lacks capacity as well as those who care about them.

In order to allow access to the person’s financial affairs, where there is no Power of Attorney in place, it is often the case that family or friends will have to approach the Court of Protection for a Court Order (Deputyship Order) which will give them authority to deal with financial matters. The applicant can be any person over the age of 18 and in many cases a spouse, partner or close relative will be the Deputy. It is usually recommended that at least 2 people be appointed as Deputies to act jointly and severally.

Barr Ellison provides the following services:

  • Advice and support on what Court of Protection application(s) are required and are in the best interests of the person
  • Full application service in requesting the Court of Protection Orders
  • Help and guidance on what it involved in being a Court of Protection Deputy
  • Professional Appointment of Deputy; if there is no one able to take on the role of Deputy then Barr Ellison have the expertise to be appointed as a professional Deputy and manage the same.

Request a detailed Quote – we will respond promptly

You can also get in touch by email on or call on 01223 417200 and ask for a member of the Personal Wealth Team.

Property Development

Barr Ellison has built a solid reputation over the years for working with our clients to achieve enhanced value for their land through property development.